Thursday, July 21, 2011

Another step forward

As I walked into the NICU today, I looked at the machine that feeds E her glucose solution and my heart sunk as the number had gone up to 3.5 mL/hour. I waited an agonizing 20 minutes for the nurse to come back from a meeting (another nurse was covering in her absence) and found out they decreased the concentration of the solution from 25 (not sure what metric this is in) to 10 thus why they bumped up the amount a tiny bit. While I was there it dropped down to 1.7 mL/hour - yippee! The attending and fellow neonatologists stopped by and were very happy with her progress ( as are the endocrinologists) and said she'll most likely be off the glucose drip sometime tomorrow. She does need to fast for 6-8 hours after that just to see if she can maintain her blood sugar levels on her own. Poor thing - that will be so hard considering they've got her on a pretty strict schedule with feedings every 3 hours. But it will make us feel better knowing she is in the safe zone.

That's it for now - thanks again for all the thoughts, calls, emails and prayers. We are trying to get back to everyone but the outpouring of support is overwhelming at times (very good problem to have) and we hope you don't get offended by a lack of a timely response.

No comments:

Post a Comment