Monday, July 18, 2011

Trying to practice our patience

Today was another good day for E with her blood sugar readings being in the 90s and even a few 100s. They also continue to drop the frequency she gets the glucose solution - we're now at 5.1 mL/hour and about a day ago it was about 9.5 mL/hour. So making good progress on how her own body is regulating her insulin output and her decreased need to supplement her with glucose. We continue waiting now that we're nearly through day #2 on the drug to see how the next few days go with hopes that her levels continue to be good.

We were encouraged that a nurse from endocrinology met with us to explain how to test E's blood with a machine that diabetics use. This included how to use the machine, putting in the needles for each test and recording results. We also went over how to use an emergency shot of glucagon in case her levels ever get so low we have to call 911 (ugh). I joked that all I need is one more thing in my purse (since this shot looks somewhat like an epi pen) and the nurse joked back that I was now a medical mom. This is a term I guess I'll be getting used to and this process will hopefully become second nature but right now it is completely nerve racking. We did take it as a positive sign that they want us to know how to do these regular blood draws this since is a step in a direction that she will be coming home. One of the neonatologists did say to expect a hiccup because there is always a hiccup. Thus far things are going smoothly and we're patiently waiting to see how these next few days go.

Here's a picture from today of our cuddly little girl. I could kiss those cheeks all day long and can't wait until I can.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Erin, what beautiful pictures! Love the outfit above, and I hope to nibble on those cheeks sometime soon. And would you look at Miss Sass in the other pics! I think I must nibble on those cheeks too :)
    So happy to hear things are moving in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Erin and Doug,
    I am thinking about you two. I know how scary it is to have your baby in the NICU! I remember not really hearing what the doctors and nurses were saying to me- everything sounded like "she is not going to be ok." But your little one is doing well and is in the best care! Who is taking care of the big sister? I know that Philip and I had to work in shifts, he in the morning and me in the afternoons and nights to breastfeed. I wish I were closer so I could help you out there. She is so beautiful, and she WILL be ok. Remember to eat and take care of yourselves too.
    XOXO Melanie

    ReplyDelete